Thursday, May 14, 2020

What mindset do we have regarding our students?

No photo description available.

Life has changed in so many small ways during this pandemic. My 20 minute commute to work and  from work was a time in which I would turn on a Podcast and gain knowledge. Knowledge I often was able to use when I would map out my weekly blog.

Now, instead of waking up to an early morning alarm, I wake up around 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM to a toddler alarm. And my day is go-go-go with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, pretending to be in a bear cave, making food, cleaning, using nap time to post on Google Classroom and meet with students on Google Meet, more playing -hopefully outside if it's nice, Brave, more cooking, more cleaning, bedtime routine, and finally relaxing. I don't find a lot of time to listen to my podcasts. My weekly escape to Meijer to pick up more fruit and vegetables is about the only time I get. I miss feeding my own learning.

This past weekend I have put a focus on my mindfulness and my own education. I have had the opportunity to list to a wonderful podcast.

Dax Shepard does a podcast called Experts on Experts and his April 16th episode is with Jessica Lahey.

One of the biggest and simplest take-away for me was  "we have to love the kids we have (in school), not the kids we wish we had."

Our students need to be seen as themselves. Our students need mindful teachers, support staff, adults, who are willing to accept them as they are and help grow at their age and stage in life.

It was amazing listening to Jessica Lahey. I encourage everyone to take some time to check out the podcast. Next on my list will be ordering and reading her book, The Gift of Failure.

My mindfulness challenge to you is to set aside even 5 minutes to be mindful. Sit and gain some focus and perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment