Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Pebble Meditation

 This week I wanted to explore Pebble Mindful Meditation.

The practice of pebble meditation involves physically holding an object, visualization, and deep breathing. This is a very good way to engage multiple senses and engage students with mindfulness.

For this practice it is recommended to use four pebbles. You could use four other non-distracting objects, but pebbles work great.

Each of the four pebbles represents a different part of the visualization.

Ask students to have the four pebbles sitting in front of them. They are to pick up and hold one pebble at a time as you move through the visualization.

The four parts are: Flower, Mountain, Water, and Space.

As you begin the practice, ask students to pick up the first stone. Ask them to hold and feel the stone in their hands. Let them know his stone is their flower stone. (a good activity as you work on this practice could be to draw or paint these rocks). 

Ask the students to follow along

Flower

Breathing in, I see myself as a flower.

Breathing out, I feel fresh.

Flower, fresh ... (at this point ask them to take 3 deep breaths and repeat this statement).

Next, put down the flower stone and pick up the Mountain stone.

Mountain

Breathing in, I see myself as a mountain.

Breathing out, I feel solid.

Mountain, solid (3 deep breaths)

Now, put down the mountain stone and pick up the water stone.

Water

Breathing in, I see myself as still water.

Breathing out, I reflect things as they truly are.

Water, Reflecting (3 breaths)

At this time place the water stone down and pick up the space stone.

Space

Breathing in, I see myself as space.

Breathing out, I feel free.

Space, Free (3 breaths)

I am including a great video which shows children engaging in this mediation. The more you practice this mindfulness the more engaged you can ask the students to become. In the video the students are asked to give input and even be the one to chime the singing bowl. Pebble Meditation Video

Try this mediation to help connect you as a class and help connect your students to the world around them. 





1 comment:

  1. I love this! Students could either paint or use permanent markers on the stones. They could have these in their desks or there could be a set in the classroom calming corner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete