Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Changing how we see "Normal"

 "I am not a broken version of someone else's normal."- John Elder Robison

As I listened to the podcast, A Slight Change of Plans with Maya Shankar, I was struck by the power of this statement. John was on the podcast telling his story, his journey to understanding himself and accepting himself.

John was in his 40's when he was presented with the idea that he might be on the Autism spectrum. The more he learned about what was at the time called Asperger's Syndrome, the more he saw himself and understood his life.

John since that time twenty years ago has written books and given talks and been a part of studies to help himself and others understand the challenges and gifts of Autism. 

Near the end of the interview John said, "I am not a broken version of someone else's normal." This to me was a profound statement and challenged me to look at our students in a different light.

Our students are unique, challenging, and at times frustrating, but, they are not broken versions of our normal.

Some are "broken" this is an unfortunate reality. But they are broken by circumstance, they were not born broken and they do not choose to be broken.

This week I challenge you, as I am challenging myself, to look at the students around you and see their normal not your normal. 

Then ask yourself what kind of support does their normal need? How can you give it? Who can give it? How can it be given?

Support does not look the same for every student. We need to be open to the supporting each student needs, as differently as it may look. Support should not be a one size fits all idea.  






  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this reminder. Again, you have managed to help me reflect on my own behaviors and reactions to others. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete