Friday, March 1, 2024

Mini Vacation of the Mind



As we are working hard on our mindfulness challenge utilizing the program Inner Explorer, I wanted to take some time to share some of the research backing mindful mediation.

I love reading research and finding new information. Sometimes it changes my mind on a subject. Other times it helps me solidify my resolve, giving me concrete evidence as to why I believe something to be a good or not so good thing.

As I looked at current research on mindful mediation I read a lot of information of which I am very familiar. But something stood out and it's a must share before we review what we know.

New research from Harvard Medical School has found that a mindful mediation practice can reduce stress levels longer term than a vacation. 

Maybe we can start to think of mindful moments as mini vacations for the mind and body.

On the website, earthweb.com it says that mindfulness can help reduce suspensions by 45%. 

It takes time and dedication. But wouldn't you rather invest time in mindfulness rather than  wasting time with unwanted behaviors. 

The Harvard study also found that students' overall school performance improves when schools utilize mindfulness.

We are not simply investing time in the day-to-day but in the whole person and whole life. We are setting up our students for a future in which they will have self-control, focus, and the ability to calm down during high stress times.

The mindfulness program we use has great test taking mindfulness, school safety mindfulness, and so much more. We can help students find a calm and peace after a fire drill or lock down drill. We can support a healthy mindset and calm body before a test. 

Studies have also shown that mindful meditation can also improve memory and concentration. 

If a class of kindergarteners can do it, a class of 8th graders can do it.

If a class of 1st graders can do it, the staff can do it too, with their students.

Take time to enrich your own life. Studies show that mindfulness can reduce anxiety, depression, and help improve your overall health.

The American Psychological Association reports that mindfulness can help you become less distracted and have high levels of productivity. 

In all of my research I have yet to find a downside to giving mindfulness a try. 

We just closed out the month of courage. Have courage to try something new.

We are now beginning the month of encouragement. I encourage you to try something new. For you. For your students. 

For your students today. And for their future.


No comments:

Post a Comment