Saturday, November 30, 2019

Creating Control and Focus


As we enter December, mindfulness is a great way to work on self-control with our students.

I began my research on this topic Googling “Mindfulness and Self-Control”. This leads to a very general “Mindfulness boosts self-control.” This is something that we know. I wanted to dig deeper for our students and for us.

While I was doing my research, I was also spending my drive into work listening to Experts on Experts with Dax Shepard, guest: Michael Gervais. Michael Gervais is a high-performance psychologist who often works with sports teams and those engaging in extreme sports. Michael shares about mindfulness being a big part of the self-control and focus utilized by his clients.

What a better way to talk about self-control than to address the need for control in sports. Many athletes such as; LeBron James, Derek Jeter, Misty May, Kerri Walsh, Kobe Bryant, Stephen Curry, Carli Lloyd, and the Seattle Seahawks, all utilize mindfulness to hone there focus and self-control to improve their performance.

Misty May and Kerri Walsh are gold medalist Olympic athletes.
Stephen Curry is a 6-time NBA All Star.
Carli Lloyd is a gold medalist Olympic athlete.
Derek Jeter is a 5-time World Series champion.
LeBron James is a 3-time NBA champion.
Kobe Bryant is a 5-time NBA champion.

Did you know you can find examples of self-control and mindfulness in movies? 

I was introducing my children to the original Karate Kid movies and found a great example near the beginning of Karate Kid II!

Take a couple of minutes to watch the clip I have included and think about a creative way to use breathing and mindfulness to work on self-control. 

Maybe this week you can create your own mindfulness breath.
I know I will utilize the movie clip with students and have them try the “Karate Kid Breath.”


Image result for sports mindfulness



No comments:

Post a Comment