Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Gratitude, Savoring, and Gratitude Visits

 


Writing these blogs while working at home on Wednesdays gives me a whole new perspective on what I share. Working from home can be a blessing and a challenge. I get to spend more time with Leila...but that time isn't always peaceful. Today is meltdown after meltdown. I work from home on Wednesday to help support my two older hybrid children. This means that I am often asked questions on 8th grade work and 4th grade work. I love being able to help and support them, but I often find myself typing and and answering questions at the same time....hoping that I am giving them the right answers and typing here the right things (and not switching them around). 

It isn't always easy to practice my gratitude amidst the chaos and stress.  Then comes a moment like the one where Leila sits with me for my 6-8 grade morning meeting and a student (you may never expect to do so) plays peek-a-boo with Leila. I found a moment to be grateful. Connection. Even through a screen. As much of a struggle as virtual learning can be, I have looked for and taken note of the positive moments.

This school year a middle school student, who showed a lot of attitude at school last year, has shown compassion, connection, and a desire to participate via Google Meets and my Google Classroom. 

I am grateful for a platform which allows students to express themselves in new and positive ways. I am grateful I can be a part of that journey with them and observe their growth and compassion.

As we continue in our month of gratitude I wanted to take some time to review a mindfulness that we have previously learned together. Gratitude lists/journals, Savoring and a Gratitude Visit.

Studies have shown that if we take time to be grateful each day we boost our mental health. The studies have shown that the positive effect is not short term, but can help us for months at a time.

The gratitude practice is simply starting or ending your day making a list of 3-5 things you are grateful for that day. 

The next part is learning to Savor. Savoring a gratitude is a way to continue to increase positive mental health. Practicing savoring is taking a moment to look at your gratitude list and picking out one item to focus on that day. Next you put details to this gratitude. What does it look like? What does it smell like? What does it taste like? How did you feel doing the activity? How did you feel being with that person? Close your eyes, take a deep breath in and put in as many details as you can.

The final part to our gratitude review is a Gratitude Visit. Much like savoring, gratitude visits help us continue to add a boost to our mental health. This gratitude helps boost your mental health as well as the mental health of the person you extend gratitude toward.

A gratitude visit is once a week picking a person and letting them know that you are grateful for them. You can write a short note, a nice letter, draw a picture, or pick out a greeting card. Create the gratitude gift and then deliver it to the person. Taking the time to see someone and express to them your gratitude helps support your positive mental health and their positive mental health. 

Imagine practicing a gratitude list, savoring, and taking time for a gratitude visit and all it can do for your mental health (for months!). 

My challenge is that you try this for yourself the rest of the month of November. 

I would also love to see you sharing this with the students at school and taking five minutes every morning to talk about gratitude. 


No comments:

Post a Comment