Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Mindfulness from Home

 In preparation for this post I have taken time to explore a lot of resources such as; apps, podcasts, and online resources.  As we wrap up before Thanksgiving and prepare for a week of online learning I wanted to make sure I could fully support, even from my home to yours. I want to take this time to share some resources which will support you personally and help you support your students.

To start I wanted to share a mindfulness from the Inner Explorer newsletter. 

Gratitude Mindfulness

Gratitude mindfulness is an amazing way to start and end your day. It is a great practice to teach your students as well. 

During uncertain times it is more important than ever that we find a place of calm for ourselves, our families, and our students. I encourage you to find 5-10 minutes a day to spend time in quiet and practice some deep breathing. I am not a morning person, no one in my house (except Leila at times) likes mornings. Since mornings are the quietest time in my house I make sure to get up a little early and spend time in peace and quiet. I practice mindful senses. I start by enjoying the quiet and being grateful for not hearing the many sounds that normally fill my home. I move on to smell. I open the coffee and take in a great big deep breath as I smell the glorious smell. Once the coffee is made I take time to slowly sip and enjoy the flavor. This time of year I use my cup to warm my hands as I use the sense of touch to embrace the warmth. I love to sit at the dinning room table and look out the window into the back yard. Over the weekend we were able to see a buck walk out back. 

Sense mindfulness is easy and calming. This mindfulness has become such a part of my morning that it isn't a chore to check off my to-do list, but rather my simple joy that I do just for me. It is my morning self-care. 

I will also utilize this time to work on my gratitude list. I like to take time to be grateful for people in my life. This often leads to Metta (loving-kindness) mindfulness.  As I think about those I am grateful for I will send them loving-kind wishes for the day.

Once you start a mindfulness practice routine it easily becomes a normal part of your daily life, without effort. 

An App I like to use is called Waking Up. This app by Sam Harris is (I think) $99 a year.... however, in an interview last year he shared that he wants it to accessible and if you sign up for the trial and email him that you enjoyed the trial by cannot pay for the app, he will pay for the app for you. I have enjoyed a free year of this app! It pays to listen to podcasts! 

On the topic of Podcasts, there are a couple that have provided me with resources, information, and general entertainment over the years.

Experts on Experts with Dax Shepard. This podcast is how I found out about my Yale course, Sam Harris's trick to getting his app for free, and a wealth of information I have used in my blog and personal life.

The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos. The professor from my Yale course has a podcast to help us all with happiness and well-being. These are short episodes I will often put on while grocery shopping, doing dishes, or working around the house (while Leila naps). 

I have tried various other apps over the years too. Mylife, Headspace, Insight Timer, and Calm. Last year Calm gave educators a free subscription. The basic version is free but there are parts beyond that need pay. Recently they have started a series of fairy tales and other stories turned into mindfulness and mediation. I have explored them myself and with students. I have enjoyed, Rumpelstiltskin Learns to Meditate, The Wicked Witch Discovers Mindfulness, and The Big Bad Wolf Learns Anger Management. There is a new one that I am excited to listen to soon, Thomas and the North Star.

As we spend some time at home, staying safe, let's make sure that we continue to attend to our mindfulness and mental health. Mindful.org has shared some short and long meditations for us to utilize.

Mindfulness During the Stay at Home Time

This next resource I really like. It shares ideas for mindfulness, a lot that I love to use, but it also talks about the language to use. It suggests talking with students about their "mindful bodies". Using the same language every time helps build routine and consistency. For many of our students they lack routine and consistency in their home lives. With COVID we all are missing routine and consistency when it comes to work and "play". Mindfulness is a gift we can give our students and ourselves. A gift of clam and consistency. A gift of peace and routine. A gift of focus and kindness.

Positive Psychology Resource

I encourage you to use mindfulness daily in your classrooms and encourage your students to come to my Google Classrooms for mindfulness at home. I post weekly, right now, but will post more as we move into our full virtual learning weeks. My page is also utilized by our social workers and Ms. Viergutz has started to post a book club. We have daily check in/check out meetings. 

My Metta Loving-Kindness Mindfulness today is for all who read this. May you find a time and place of calm today. May you take a few minutes for yourself and enjoy the joys of the world around you. 





1 comment:

  1. The Daily Smile podcast is a good one too! Shackelford told me about that one!

    ReplyDelete