Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Curiosity

We have have all heard the term "multitasking." Some people believe they are master multitaskers, others admit they find this a challenge.

Truth is science tells us that our brains cannot multitask. What our brains truly engage in is what science calls "switchtasking." This is the process of quickly shifting from one task to another and then back again. 

Switchtasking has been shown to lower productivity and reduce comprehension. 

What does this have to do with mindfulness and our students?

The word that keeps coming to my mind: Curiosity

If we engage our students in curiosity daily they cannot be bored. As we know brains cannot truly multitask. So either you can cultivate curiosity or you can let boredom grow.

I have students come to my office day after day and tell me that they were acting out because they were bored.

How can we cultivate curiosity? 

Mindfulness teaches us to be present in our current feelings, space, and time. 

Utilize mindfulness to create curiosity. 

Your own personal mindfulness practice can help you become curious too. Instead of thinking "why did he do that again?" Be curious and ask "what is he feeling at this moment?" "why is he showing his feelings in this way?" "how can I help?"

Use curiosity when talking about practicing mindfulness. Give the students guiding questions? 

What am I feeling in my body?
Is my mind present?
Am I feeling safe?
What do I need today?

This curious mindfulness fits with daily asking students to identify feelings on the mood meter. When we share our feelings they will become curious about their own and where they are coming from.

Get Curious This article talks about curiosity and mindfulness. One of the things that stood out to me is the thought that we get stuck on the way we believe things should or should not be. Do you ever have an idea of the way things should go in your classroom, or the way they should not go? What if you became curious about why they are going different from how you imagined or planned? 

The article references the old expression "curiosity killed the cat..." In fact, it hypothesized that curiosity might help us not kill the cat. What does this mean? Use mindfulness to be more curious about student behavior and maybe, just maybe the student will thrive. 

I encourage you to participate in the mindfulness challenge using Inner Explorer. It's not too late to start. Mindfulness is important. 

Remember to reach out if you need help or guidance. I am always happy to help. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment