Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Let's Get Gritty

Before you click on the link below I wanted to give you some time codes. Feel free to watch it all if you would like to address hypothesis and theory in psychology....but for our purposes now start at about 2:40 and watch to 6:30 with a focus on what she says at about 5:30.

Bean Bag Epiphany


Now that you've watched our selection from the video I encourage you to take time to reflect on her words. She said that when she had her bean bag epiphany, for the first time she realized while she would be alright, her students would not. While she has been through college, statistics says that only about 2-3 students in her class will graduate college. 

For me this video says it all. What we do each day is for our students and their future. My future is already on a good path. I've been to college, I am employed, and I am doing well. Our students are in the statistical demographic that says they are more likely to fail than thrive. 

But we can change that.

How did the speaker of our video, Clair Robertson-Karft, PhD, director of ImpactED at University of Pennsylvania grow her students TWO YEARS in ONE YEAR?

Grit

Grit is defined as a disposition toward perseverance and passion for long-term goals.

Do you have grit?

Studies have shown that gritter teachers are more effective teachers.
Studies have shown that gritter teachers stay in the profession longer.

How does this connect to mindfulness?

Mindfulness matters, but if you do not do it with grit you may not see the benefit. You need to have the disposition toward PERSEVERANCE and PASSION for LONG-TERM.  

In a study out of New Zealand, acting with awareness and non-judgement predicted grit.

Mindfulness teaches us how to act with awareness in a non-judgmental way. 

From this we can see that as the teachers, educators, leaders, and staff at the school mindfulness can help us with our own grit. We can then help instill the grit into our students by utilizing the skills of mindfulness.

Much of grit research connects strongly to having a growth mindset. Studies have shown that students who have a growth mindset can and will outperform those without a growth mindset. This is true no matter the IQ level of the students.

Looking at grit and growth mindset we can use mindfulness to open students to the idea of being present and aware each and every day. We can use mindfulness to literally grow and change their brains toward a growth mindset and grit.

In the article Grit and Mindfulness we can read information on brain growth through mindfulness and how this can help build grit and a growth mindset.

This week I challenge you to utilize Inner Explorer, even if your students groan or make comments about not liking how it sounds. You may have one student who is silent but needs it and loves it. And those loud voice against it.... keep using it and build grit. Let your grit build their grit. Have the passion and perseverance to continue.

If you are still with me and showing some grit right now I want to get personal. I have a student who struggles daily. I am using my grit to not give up on this student. In this student's life people have given up. I want to show true grit and keep going. I am using his signature character strengths and my own signature character strengths... the VIA assessment link to find your own is in a previous blog Character. This student is a long-term goal but I'm not giving up. My daily mindfulness practice of gratitude helps me focus on the positives. My mindfulness practice of deep breathing keeps me calm. My mindfulness exploration to write these blogs helps me gain perspective and gives me a renewed trust in my grit.

Do you have grit?

How gritty are you?



No comments:

Post a Comment