Thursday, February 1, 2024

The Improv Classroom

Let's spend some time this week gathering lessons from improv. It might sound like a crazy idea, but stick with me. 

First improv is all about being in the moment. Paying attention. Being present. If you do not pay attention then you will not know how to respond. And in improv it is all about the response. This sounds a lot like mindfulness to me. Being present, in the moment, and paying attention. When we do these things we can learn how to respond to emotions and situations in a healthy way.

Next we have what Keegan-Michael Key calls "backing up to discover." In an interview regarding improv Keegan-Michael Key (you know Substitute Teacher...you done messed up A-Aron) shared that he sees improv as backing up to discover the larger world. In impro you build the story from the words you are given and the world around you. You have to create something from seeing a larger view not a smaller view. What if we did this with our classrooms and students?

Often times we zero in on a students' flaw. We focus on the small moments and problems without looking at the bigger picture. Back up. Discover. 

This week a kinder friend was having a challenging moment. The classics; not listening, not following directions, purposefully ignoring a teacher. In stead of focusing on the moment we took some time to get the bigger picture. We backed up and listened to discover. This friend shared some changes at home. Things aren't stable. She's not in control. And what do humans do when they do not feel in control in one aspect of their lives...they try to control another. This little one was controlling what she did and did not do in class. 

Back up. Discover.

Along the lines of looking at a bigger picture, Seth Rogan has shared that he feels improv is about the story not the joke. He says that great improv actors play it as a writer not someone trying to land the joke. They ask, what is the story here? A joke might land but it might not move the story forward. One joke does not a scene make. You need more to move forward.

For us that means asking what the story is, not just the moment. What can I do move the story forward? 

Have you ever had a situation happen with a student and then it feels like you are stuck in that moment? The student doesn't know how to move past the moment. You struggle to move on. What will move the story forward...you addressing a concern and being done with it or you holding on to the moment and bringing it back up at other times? When we get stuck on what happened we miss the why and we stop the story. We do not move forward and neither does the student. They need us to move forward to show them how to move forward after a situation.

Step Back. Discover. Move the Story Forward. 

Another great lesson improv is Improv 101: Yes...And

In improv the idea of Yes...And is to set up a scene and always agree and expand. Never say no. 


The idea of Yes..And in the classroom is not about always agreeing with a student, but rather teaching them that two things can be true at one time.



Another lesson from kindergarten this week is a Yes...And... moment. A friend was struggling because she wanted to go home. She missed mom. We were able to talk with her about Yes, you miss mom, but you can have an And such as, I can have fun at school. Yes: I miss mom. And: I can have fun at school. 

We can use Yes...And... to help our students see that being upset, sad, or angry about one thing does not mean we have to be upset, sad, or angry about all things. 

Yes: Another student called me a mean name. And: I am doing better in math and that is my real focus.
Yes: I am tired. And: I am still going to do my work and be productive.
Yes: I would rather be at home. And: I am going to be at school and do my work.
Yes: I am feeling sad and do not want to talk about it. And: I am going to be brave and talk about it.

We can help our students work out of a place of being stuck in one emotion by introducing them to the idea that two emotions can both be true at the same time.

Yes...And... can work for adults too.

Yes: I am frustrated with my class. And: I am going to be positive with them today.
Yes: I am tired and did not want to come in today. And: I am here and I am ready to go.
Yes: I am struggling in my personal life. And: That has nothing to do with my students so at school I will focus on them.

Yes...And... can also teach us lessons on courage.

In a psychology today article it was shared that Yes... And... as a New Years Resolution can help you experience new things you've been too afraid to try.

Yes: I am scared to skydive. And: I am going to do it with a friend.


What are your Yes... And... statements?

What might a Yes... And... statement be for your students? 

Yes I had a bad moment. And my teacher really listened. They stepped back. Discovered my why. And helped me move my story and day forward.




No comments:

Post a Comment